Ichet-Di ss [C]** forced settlers' graveyard | Russia's Necropolis of Terror and the Gulag

Ichet-Di ss [C]** forced settlers' graveyard



Date of burial
Show Map
Komi republic, Vuktylsky district, Ichet-Di settlement (uninhabited)
Access outside a populated area
Private or specialised transport
On foot
Visiting Hours or Restrictions
Type of burial
Deportees’ graveyard
Current use
Cultural and/or educational purposes
Ceremonial events
Presence of memorials, etc.
Protected status
Regional / Republican
Схема 2007 года
Схема 2007 года

Ichet-Di was set up on 17 July 1931 by dekulakized peasant families deported from central black-earth districts of Russia (a total of 1,712 people). By June 1933, 489 of these men, women and children had died of scurvy. The settlement was officially closed in 1961.

From the mid-1990s onwards, the children and grandchildren of the forced settlers began to visit Ichet-Di. A guesthouse and chapel were built on the bank of the river Pechora, and the settlers’ graveyard was cleared and tidied. In 2007 the graveyard was investigated by an expedition from the Troitsko-Pechorsk district museum of history and local studies; in that same year a memorial was erected to the founders of the village.

Books of Remembrance

Repentance: the Komi Republic Martyrology of the Victims of Mass Political Repression (11 vols. 1998-2016), includes entries on 65,000 individuals, from dekulakized peasant families and former Polish citizens to Soviet German forced labourers, who were deported to the area.

The Komi Book of Remembrance lists 1,082 individuals who from 1931 onwards were deported to Ichet-Di or were born there.

DateNature of ceremoniesOrganiser or responsible personParticipantsFrequency
Commemorative visits
Former inhabitants and their descendants
Annual event
Tours & exploratory investigations
Pokayanie (Repentance) Foundation
Nature of area requiring preservation
State of burialsAreaBoundaries
Some headboards have survived; burial mounds and typical depressions in the soil
not established
not delineated
Administrative responsibility and ownership, informal responsibility for the site
On land under the control of the Vutylsky district administration. In 2008 by order No 522 of the Komi Republic Ministry of Culture the graveyard was recognised as meeting the criteria of a site of cultural heritage
Sources and bibliography

[ Original texts & hyperlinks ]

G.F. Dobronozhenko and L.S. Shabalova (Compilers), Special settlements in Komi. The June 1933 comprehensive study: A collection of documents, Syktyvkar, 1997

“Report on exploratory-historical work in the Troitsko-Pechorsk district of the Komi republic” (Manuscript), Troitsko-Pechorsk, 2007

A. Nikolayeva, “The sad anniversary of a small island”, Respublika (Syktyvkar), 15 July 2011


Reply No 06-17-1230, 30 April 2014, from the Komi Republic Ministry of Culture to a formal enquiry by RIC Memorial (St Petersburg)