In December 1920, after units of the Red Army suppressed the Kamyshovoe uprising, Cossacks who had taken part in the rebellion and their families were shot summarily in the steppe bordering the Nizhne-Olkhovaya-Pozdeevaya village. Researchers concur that there were more than one hundred victims, including children.
In 2005, a four-metre memorial cross was erected on the burial site. On the crossbeam are inscribed the words, “Grant them Thy peace, O Lord”, and, on the reverse “Save and Protect”. A board affixed to the upright reads, “Here lie heroes of the Don. Praise to the Don Cossacks”.
A five-volume unofficial edition We have not forgotten: A Book in Remembrance of the Victims of Unlawful Political Repression was published between 1995 and 2004. It contains information about 3,800 who were shot or sent to the camps.
|Nature of ceremonies
|Organiser or responsible person
Priests of the church of the Archangel Michael, Pozdneyevka
parishioners, Cossacks of the Miller yurt of the Rostov Region
|State of burials
have not survived