In the 1930s, the bodies of those who had been shot in Kalinin Region NKVD building [69-01] in Kalinin (Tver) were buried in the northern section of the city’s Volynskoe graveyard. Some sources suggested that executions and burials were also carried out in the graveyard in the post-war years: this information is based on testimony by many of the city’s inhabitants and of former NKVD employees.
In 1989 and 1990, members of the Tver branch of Memorial, aided by the city commission for rehabilitation, searched in vain for the location of such mass burials. Subsequently, in 2005, the remains of 70 individuals with bullet holes in their skulls were discovered when the church of the Blessed Seraphim of Sarov was being built next to a suspected mass burial. Expert assessment confirmed the date and origin of the remains and on 30 October 2005 they were reburied in the south wall of the church and a memorial plaque was affixed there. An Orthodox cross was erected over the place where the burials were found.
A Book in Remembrance of the Victims of Political Repression of the Kalinin Region (4 vols. 2000-2015) includes biographical entries on 9,400 who were shot or sent to the camps.
|State of burials
|Other sites in same area
reburial in good condition and marked by a memorial
Church of St. Seraphim of Sarov
S.N. Pogorelov, The varied fates of Volyn in the Tver Region, Tver, 2009, 75 pp.
Along the Paths of Memory: Visits to places in Tver and the Tver Region linked to repressive political measures from 1930 to the 1940s: A Guide, Tver, 2009, 28 pp.
Official website of the Church of the Blessed Seraphim of Sarov
Reply by the Tver City Administration (№ 02/2730 of 21 May 2014) to a formal enquiry by RIC Memorial (St Petersburg)